AT-GC Patient Guide
Learn what to expect from an AT-GC appointment.
What to expect.
The caring and competent genetic counselors at AT-GC provide virtual patient care through an online and telephone-based platform, helping to bridge the gap and fill the gap in qualified genetics professionals for patients located in every state, with equal access to those in rural and metropolitan areas, alike. Click here to learn more about telemedicine!
Our genetics consultations allow you to meet virtually with board-certified genetic counseling professionals. Each of our genetic counselors and our specialized medical professionals has extensive education and experience in the genetic counseling field.
Before the Appointment
- You will receive an email with a link and visit code to access your telegenetic counseling appointment and instructions on how to virtually meet with your genetic counselor.
- You may be responsible for gathering personal and family health history. We ask that you fill out this information online before the appointment, if possible, using a secure link that we will provide you with our initial scheduling conversation.
* If you do not have a healthcare provider, please contact us to review options.
- Appointments take place through secure telephone or video conferencing and are often able to be virtually completed from the comfort of your home.
- Together, you and the genetic counselor review your personal and family history. Based on this information, the genetic counselor will discuss in detail which tests, if any, may be appropriate and the possible outcomes of the genetic testing.
- When ordering a test is appropriate, and you have chosen to proceed with genetic testing, we will guide you through each option and the steps to submit a blood or saliva sample for DNA processing.
- We will interpret and discuss the meaning of your specific genetic testing results and will provide personalized information and recommendations related to your risk. We will also explain what these findings may mean for other family members.
- We will provide a summary of our conversations, recommendations, and the genetic testing results to your referring provider, who will follow up with you regarding the information provided by your genetic test.
- We will be available to you, without any additional fees, for six months following the genetic testing during which time you may contact us with any questions related to your genetics results. We are also happy to discuss coordinating testing for family members who may also wish to pursue genetic counseling and testing.